Saturday, April 17, 2010

Phoenix again

Tonight I said goodbye to Fire 505. It was a little nostalgic to sit in the truck one last time. It was of course parked in the bay here at Station 16 and not cruising down a desolate Arizona desert. I sat in the driver seat and a weeks worth of memories flooded back to me at once. The sadness and nostalgia that I felt were not for the truck itself, though there is a small sentimental tug I feel when I see the truck. It covered a lot of miles and it is sort of like saying goodbye to an old friend. The sadness doesn't come because I am sitting in the truck for the last time, it comes because of the company had in the truck. Dad and I covered a lot of miles, and shared a lot of stories. The truck was simply a context for that to be carried out. Our time spent together was invaluable. Though our goal ultimately revolves around the truck itself, the journey was one of importance as well. I think I came to realize that although the journey and destination are important, the company you share along the way can make all the difference. Keep good company and the miles will pass swiftly. Keep patience, and remember to charge the GPS at night Dad.

From Phoenix AZ

Good night Fire 505.

2 comments:

  1. A trip that you will never forget. NOT just the trip, but as you said: " The sadness doesn't come because I am sitting in the truck for the last time, it comes because of the company had in the truck. Dad and I covered a lot of miles, and shared a lot of stories."

    See you soon.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who said this quote first, but it has been ringing in my mind this week: "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened". Sounds like you have a good grasp of that. I Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete